A few years back I came across one of nature’s true wonder foods. Not only is this delicious and healthy food at the foundation of many traditional recipes, it is readily available both on and offline, is exceptional value for money, and has been proven to elevate your metabolism, boost both short and long-term energy, and strengthen your immune system. If that’s not a wonder food, I don’t know what is!
I’m talking about extra virgin, organic coconut oil – one of the most important staples of my pantry. It’s perfect for cooking any meat or poultry, and is wonderful for making Thai-inspired curries (coconut milk is also really great for this, always organic please). I buy my coconut oil and milk online from www.tropicaltraditions.com.
10 Reasons Why You Ought To Include Coconut Oil In Your Diet
1. Coconut oil is good fat at it’s best. It’s 92% saturated fat but not the scary stuff. In it’s pure organic state the saturated fat in coconut oil is made up of medium-chain-fatty-acids which are shuttled directly to your liver.
2. What happens to this fat in your liver? It becomes an instant source of increased energy.
3. Not to mention a quick and lasting metabolism boost ..
4. Due to it’s anti-inflammatory properties coconut oil will protect you against common flu’s and colds and may even assist in fighting more serious ailments. See the testimonial below – it was sent to me by a good friend of my mother’s and is a great testament to the real-life wonders of coconut oil.
5. Coconut oil is fantastic for your skin when you eat it but it also works pretty darn good straight on the surface. I sometimes use it as a hair repair treatment by leaving some in the ends of my strangly locks during hot yoga.
6. Coconut oil is among the most stable oils you can cook with, meaning it won’t go rancid even at extremely high temperatures.
7. Adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to each meal is a sure-fire way to stay fuller for longer and avoid sweet cravings later on.
8. In the book Eat Fat, Lose Fat (one of my most re-read books!) several women talk about the inclusion of coconut oil in their diet as having completely removed their cellulite! (I’ve worked with clients who have commented on a reduction in cellulite from coconut oil)
9. The energy and metabolism boost you’ll receive from coconut oil is one of the simplest and cheapest ways to naturally enhance your performance both at sport and play – and has even been shown to lift a lagging libido!
10. Eating good fats such as coconut oil is a sure way to promote a healthy hormonal system, increasing your capacity to manage and over come stress, to efficiently digest and utilize food, and to get off the sugar-rollercoaster that comes about with every too-low-fat-diet.
What One Woman Had To Say About This Wonder Food
(and several more important reasons why you ought to eat coconut oil!)
“A friend recently gave me some beautiful coconut oil to try. I have tried coconut oil before and was not impressed; however, this one is different. (Kat – this is why I emphasize the quality of the oil you buy) It is organic and processed within 1 hour of the coconuts being picked. It is not made from old Copra which most others are, so it is really fresh. It has not been bleached and has no additives. I have been adding it to recipes, cooking with it and using it as a face moisturizer.
After several days I actually got a big herx! (Symptoms of bacteria dying off) – I asked my Lymestrategies group (Rosemary, who wrote this, has been a long-time sufferer of Lyme disease) if this is possible.
I got several emails confirming that coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and very powerful stuff. In fact many people treat their Lyme-autistic kids with it and get great results. It has lauric acid which is one of the major components of breast milk, so it is wonderful for boosting the immune system. It also improves thyroid function. I have been getting hot flushes for 3-4 years and have been using natural progesterone cream. This helped somewhat, but didn’t fix them. I haven’t used the progesterone cream for weeks, but my hot flushes have nearly stopped. I just read that coconut oil can fix hot flushes and I just realized that they have improved since I’ve been taking CO.
It is also great for those who can’t tolerate other fats and you can even lose weight on it as it is easily digested and increases the metabolism, giving more energy. It also lowers cholesterol and stabilizes blood sugar. Quite amazing for a natural product.
Prior to Lyme I worked in Pharmacy. I have sold some of the most expensive skin care products on the market. Even those which are not perfumed contain chemicals. I am not putting chemicals on my skin anymore. I am just using coconut oil. It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave a greasy feel.
I love this stuff and many people in the Lyme groups are adding it to their regimen to kill Lyme and co. The one I am using is www.niulife.com which provide fair trade for native people. I have ordered a carton of it and will sell some to friends and family. It will be cheaper than the health food store and is a better product.
It is so nice to be able to enjoy fat that is satisfying and good for you. We have been making all kinds of recipes using the CO. Banana, mango nut milk shakes. Yum! Fried veggie and cashew rice. Crab, fruit, nut clusters using the CO instead of copha. It is softer so you have to put it in the fridge. Tastes beautiful. Buckwheat pancakes fried in CO and topped with fresh fruit. My favorite breakfast!”
As you can see, Rosemary has been quite pro-active in doing her research on the benefits of coconut oil and seeking out the highest quality brand. She recommends looking at the websites www.kokonutpacific.com.au or coconutresearchcenter.org for further information.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, no I’m not selling the stuff! Although maybe I should consider it :-). If you’re keen to pick some up right away you can purchase extra virgin coconut oil from any organic store and even from most health foods stores. It’s around $7 for a jar. You can buy it refined (no flavor) or unrefined (coconut flavour, strange huh?!) These are a great start but I have found the before-mentioned online versions to be better quality and clarity.
Life is Now. Press Play.
Have you use coconut oil in cooking before? I’d love to hear your recipe ideas or whether you just eat the stuff straight from the jar like I’ve been known to!
Don’t forget to leave a comment on this post by clicking on ‘leave a comment’ just below. If you’re reading from RSS or email you’ll have to enter the blog to do this. You can do that by clicking on the title of this piece. ‘Leave a comment’ is at the article end, right under the ’share this’ and ‘other articles you may enjoy’ option.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to this feed, what are you waiting for? Do it now. You can choose either email or RSS by clicking here. If you enjoyed this article please forward to your friends. Thank-you!